Keep It Quiet In There
Hearing loss does not have to be an occupational hazard for your heavy equipment operators. Here are some prevention tips:
- Ensure noise levels in operator cabs are acceptable before purchasing equipment. Noise reduction is best if built in.
- Monitor older equipment, which often needs additional attention. The use of noise-reducing floor mats, additional flame retardant insulation, sound-dampening glass, and other methods can significantly reduce noise levels in operator compartments.
- Maintain air conditioning systems to allow operation of equipment without having to open windows and doors.
- Frequently inspect cabs for adequate window and door seals. Identify and control excessive vibration as well as engine, transmission, hydraulic and other sources of noise.
- Replace worn mufflers and exhaust pipes to reduce cab noise.
- Use monitors on jobsites to ensure noise levels have not increased.
- Train operators to identify and report changes that adversely effect in-cab noise levels.