Paving Operations Training is a structured four-and-a-half day course that emphasizes the fundamentals of asphalt paving and then builds upon these fundamentals to move into more advanced paving techniques. Student’s progress is developed and monitored throughout the training, concluding with a written and hands-on final examination.
The daily curriculum includes two hours of classroom training and six hours of hands-on training at a paving demo site.
Classroom Interactive Sessions include:
- Fundamentals of paving
- Control of segregation
- Understanding grade and slope controls
- Introduction to electronic control modules
- Understanding mat defects
- Compaction basics.
Hands-on Training includes:
- Transverse and longitudinal joint construction
- Feeder system set-up and adjustments
- Variable width paving
- Grade and slope set-up and troubleshooting
- ECM calibration
- Critical screed adjustments.
The primary objective of Paving Operations Training is to prepare attendees to conduct similar training within his or her organization. Each company present receives one training kit, which contains all the training material, outlines, tests and evaluation forms used in the course. Each graduate will be awarded a certificate of completion. The sponsoring organization will receive a student progress report.