Cat® C27 Engine
The Cat C27 engine is built and tested to meet your most demanding applications while meeting Tier 4 Final or Tier 2 equivalent emission standards.
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls work in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Maximize your uptime with the proven planetary power shift transmission. Improved shift quality, component life and operator comfort with our electronic transmission controls.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
Enable your operators to maximize efficiency by varying machine rimpull while putting more horsepower to hydraulics.
- Reduced tire wear
- Enables full throttle shifts for faster cycle times
- Provides smooth approach to the dump target for less spillage and faster cycle times.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat
- Improves travel speeds
- Reduces cycle times in load and carry operations
Enabling maximum productivity and efficiency, all day every day. The 990K systems work hard to save you fuel through advanced technologies. Utilizing On Demand Throttle, operators maintain normal operation with the left pedal and implements while the 990K manages the engine speed.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
To ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design with an auto lube system attachment available from the factory.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress relieved lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and less operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Three forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C27 Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 990K comes from the Cat C27 Engine. Optimum performance is built in through the use of a 12 cylinder, direct injection design.
- Optimized performance and quick engine response with an electronic control module.
- Reliable efficiency with complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure with Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™).
- Extended engine life and improved fuel efficiency with reduced rated speed.
- Available in two versions: one that meets Tier 4 Final emission standards, and another that meets Tier 2 equivalent emission standards.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
Lower your cost per ton utilizing advanced ICTC and RCS for modulated rimpull.
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever movement.
- Fast, productive cycles are enabled by the fully variable implement pump.
- Increase fork feel and control through increased hydraulic response.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
- Full hydraulic flow down to 1,400 engine rpm enabled by flow sharing technology.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Confident loader operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 990K's load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 35 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Case drain screens.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
- Optional heated and ventilated seat.
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
Your operator's productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Sound level reduced to a quiet 69 dB(A).
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
The 990K electronic systems have been completely integrated to function as one machine. This integration creates a smart machine and more informed operator, maximizing the productivity of both.
Cat Product Link™
Cat Product link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink®. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
Third Generation VIMS™ System
We have worked hard to help our customers and operators perform at their best through our Vital Information Management System (VIMS 3G).
- Easy-to-view graphical information display features a large touch screen interface.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine system malfunction or operation.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
We are constantly introducing features on our machines in an effort to enhance safety for the operators.
- Left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 990K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision or optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional HID or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Safely train other operators in comfort with our standard training seat.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat and the standard trainer seat.
Sustainability is designed and built into our 990K's features.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- The 990K is built for multiple lives. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
Efficiency and Durability
Cat forks are designed for maximum productivity and durability. Whether unloading trucks in a single pass or reclaiming wood the high capacity forks bring productivity to your operation.
- Bypassing style top clamp design to clasp full or partial truck loads.
- Heavy duty top clamp design with durable mesh guarding to contain debris and protect the cab.
- Pivoting tines with replaceable tips for efficient log reclaim.
- Integrated front camera mounting location for maximum visibility to the tine tips for truck unloading.