Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit loads into the frame.
- Cast axle pivot mounting areas better disperse stress loads for increased structural integrity.
Your key to maximum uptime and productivity is our field-proven lift arms.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
To ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design with optional auto lube system.
Cat® Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Heat treated gears and shafts extend component life and maximize reliability.
- Four forward and four reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C15 Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 986K comes from the Cat® C15 engine. Optimum performance is built in to this 6 cylinder turbocharged engine.
- Meets Tier 4 Final/Stage IV, or China Nonroad Stage III and Brazil MAR-1 emission standards equivalent to Tier 3 and Stage IIIA.
- Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™) gives the C15 complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure.
- The Advanced Diesel Engine Management (ADEM™) A4 electronic control module manages fuel delivery to optimize performance and provide quick engine response.
Transmission Neutralizer Pedal
- Extends service brake life by neutralizing transmission as service brakes are applied.
- Allows full power to implement system while the machine is stationary during truck loading.
Set Point for Neutralization – Start of service brake pressure modulation
Full Pedal Travel – Maximum brake pressure
Load Sense Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Load Sense Hydraulic System. Load sense hydraulics maximize performance by directing hydraulic fluid flow through implement and steering system only when needed.
- Lowered fuel consumption.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Confident loader operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 986K's load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 35 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return and case drain screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Fold up STIC™ steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and helps reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
- Optional 4-point seat belt.
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
Your operator's productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolated cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Reduced operator sound levels.
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Integrated electronics provide flexible levels of information to both the site and the operator. This integration creates a smart machine and more informed operator, maximizing the productivity of both.
We have worked hard to help our customers and operators perform at their best through our newly upgraded touch screen information display.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine systems.
Cat Production Measurement
Brings payload weighing to the cab, enabling operators to weight loads on-the-go during loading operations. Loads are weighed as the bucket is raised during the lift cycle – eliminating the need to interrupt the load cycle, improving loading efficiency.
- Operators can view load weights on the information display.
- Instant feedback gives operators the confidence to work more effectively.
- Operators can track recorded weights and cycles using the display.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Tire pressure monitoring is a fully integrated feature which allows operators to monitor inflation of tires. Available through the Information Display, the operator can quickly see the current pressure settings and temperature of each tire.
Product Link™ Cat Elite
Take the guesswork out of asset management with Product Link remote monitoring.
- Advanced Productivity App (Available as Subscription) helps to optimize worksite operations with detailed payload, cycle, fuel report and remote truck/material list management.
- Remote access to information through the easy-to-use VisionLink® interface.
- Maximize uptime by staying informed on machine systems and diagnostic codes.
- Track machine with utilization, fuel usage, and payload summaries.
- Stay up to date on machine location, service meter hours, and reporting status.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Machines equipped with left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 986K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- External guardrail mounted rearview mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Cat Vision and optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Halogen, HID, or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
Reducing Impact to the Environment
Sustainability is designed and built into our 986K's features.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste with our maintenance free or extended maintenance batteries.
- To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while reducing impact to the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
Performance Series Buckets
Performance Series Buckets feature an optimized profile maximizing material retention and minimizing dig time, translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements. All 986K buckets are manufactured with the Performance Series design.
Designed for use in bank or face loading of limestone and other unprocessed rock. Application also includes truck and hopper loading for a wide range of quarry materials. GET includes spade nose cutting edge with adapters, half arrow segments, bottom wear plates, and side bar protectors.
Heavy Duty Rock Buckets
Designed for use in applications like face loading tightly compacted pit materials or handling materials of moderate abrasion and high impacts. GET are similar to the rock bucket with the addition of floor liner, half radius liners and bolt-on bottom edge wear plates. 20-series mechanically attached wear plates (MAWPS) are provided for additional wear protection and improved serviceability. Base edge end protection, ski plates, additional side wear plates, wings and an extra set of side bar protectors are also included.
General Purpose Buckets
Designed for use primarily in stockpiling, re-handling and aggregate applications. GET includes a straight base edge with a bolt-on cutting edge system. Curved side bars are provided to aid in material retention.
Designed with a larger capacity for use in applications with light density and non-abrasive materials. GET includes a straight base edge with a bolt-on cutting edge system.
Cat Advansys™ Ground Engaging Tools
Protect expensive components. Reduce your operating costs. Get the most out of your machine’s performance. Choose from a variety of performance-built Advansys GET like these to meet your application requirements.
CapSure™ Retention Technology
Simplify GET component replacement with hammerless CapSure retention for fast, easy and safe installation. CapSure tips, shrouds and sidebar protectors are easily locked and unlocked with a 180 degree turn of a ¾ inch (19 mm) ratchet.
For full truck payloads with minimum loading time, an efficient loading/hauling system starts with a perfect match. Cat wheel loaders are matched with Cat articulated and off-highway trucks to maximize volume of material moved at the lowest operating cost per ton.
The 986K equipped with the standard linkage is a perfect four pass match for the 770G (38.6 tonnes/42.6 tons). The 986K equipped with a high lift linkage is capable of loading a 772G (47.7 tonnes/52 tons) in 5 passes and a 773E or 773G (56 tonnes/61.7 tons) in 6 passes.