The Cat® C27 engine with ACERT® Technology is U.S. EPA Tier 3 and EU Stage III compliant. It features increased horsepower and efficient fuel management for quick response, high productivity and exceptional service life. A sculpted cylinder block provides greater strength and is lighter weight.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) Left Pedal Control
The ICTC allows the operator to modulate rimpull to the wheels and slow the machine down without reducing engine speed. This allows the machine to maintain full hydraulic power for blade and steering control which gives the 844H a hydrostatic feel while keeping the benefits of the world's most efficient and powerful drive train and powershift transmission with lock-up control system. A torque converter lock-up clutch provides direct drive efficiency in second and third forward gears and all three gears in reverse with higher speeds and improved fuel economy on long distance dozing.
Automatic Blade Positioning
This patented system mimics manual operations by automatically lowering the blade when the machine is shifted forward and raising it in reverse. The set points to where the blade raises/lowers can be easily adjusted from the operator's seat.
Speed and Versatility
The speed and mobility of the 844H wheel dozer gives it the versatility needed to perform a variety of jobs on your job site:
- Haul road maintenance
- Dozing truck dumps
- Loading area clean up
- Blasting clean up
Engine Idle Shutdown
This new feature will automatically shutdown the engine after the machine has been in a safe idling state for an extended amount of time. The operator in the cab will be audibly and visually warned before the shutdown occurs.
Lock-up Clutch Torque Converter
A torque converter lock-up clutch provides direct drive efficiency in second and third forward gears and all three gears in reverse with higher speeds and improved fuel economy on long distance dozing.
Combining the use of robotic welding and castings in critical high stress areas, more than 90 percent of the machine structure is robotically welded to provide highly consistent welds and increased strength. Castings are also used in several areas to increase strength by helping spread the loads and reduce the number of parts.
Cat Planetary, Power Shift Transmission
Electronic shifting provides smooth, consistent shifts. Large diameter clutches coupled with four planet gear trains provides added durability for extended, trouble free life.
Heavy Duty Axles
Optional axle oil coolers, permanently lubed universal joints and stronger axle components in both the differential and final drives are offered for increased performance, serviceability and durability.
The final drives feature planetary reduction at each wheel. Torque is developed at the wheel which provides less stress at the axle shafts. • Proprietary gear cutting and heat treating methods are used in the manufacturing to provide best in class reliability and durability.
Axle-Shaft, Oil Disc Brakes
These brakes are adjustment free, fully hydraulic and completely sealed. Disc face grooves provide cooling even when brakes are applied for a longer component life.
- Location of brakes allow for improved serviceability. The axle shaft brake design allows for brake service while leaving the final drive intact.
- Axle-shaft brakes require less force by operating on the low torque side of the axle. Combined with improved axle oil circulation for increased cooling, the oil-enclosed, multiple disc brake design improves durability.
Best-in-Class Working Environment
A comfortable operator is a productive operator, which is why Caterpillar has designed the 844H with a best-in-class working environment for this size wheel loader class.
- World class cab incorporates features for operator comfort and ergonomics, visibility and ease of operation.
- Ergonomic controls are fully adjustable and designed for low-effort comfort. Switches and controls for various systems are located within easy reach of the operator.
- Interior noise levels are reduced to a quiet 72 dB(A).
- Cat Monitoring System (EMS-III) provides information on machine's major components. This includes gauge displays for the fuel tank level; temperature gauges for the engine coolant, torque converter and hydraulic oil; tachometer analog gauge with digital readout for gear selection and ground speed and a monitoring system.
- Optional features are available for improved visibility. These options include a rear vision camera to clearly monitor movement behind the wheel loader and high intensity discharge (HID) lights for greater visibility at night.
- Standard trainers seat allows for a safe method to properly train your operator.
The 844H is designed to ensure minimal downtime through ground level or platform access, grouped service points, and attention to key serviceable areas on the machine.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Ground level viewable site gauges on all major systems.
- Ground level engine shutdown, battery disconnect switch and steering hitch lock lever allow service technicians to perform maintenance while the machine stays static.
- Longer service intervals on fluids and filters.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to the engine oil dipstick and filler spout, S·O·SSM ports, fuel filters, air conditioner compressor, engine oil filters, alternator, starting receptacle, air filter service indicator, cooler fill and ether starting aid.
- Maintenance-free batteries.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spilling potential environmental contaminants. Ecology drains are standard on the hydraulic, engine, transmission and coolant systems.
Protecting the Environment
With the 844H having a long legacy, it is only fitting this machine has features and services that show environmental responsibility.
- Maintenance-free, ease of maintenance or extended maintenance, attention has been paid to lowering routine maintenance cost while eliminating waste to the environment.
- The Cat 844H is built for multiple lives. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
At Caterpillar, we have designed the 844H with your most important asset in mind - People. Drawing from a history of technological advancements and practical wisdom, you can be assured that your people are protected while working in, on or around the 844H Wheel Dozer.
The 844H offers a number of standard and optional features to enhance job site visibility. Features include:
- Articulated wiper/washer system with intermittent features
- Optional high intensity discharge (HID) lights
- Optional warning beacons
- Optional rear vision camera
Access and Egress
Getting on and off the machine is one of the leading causes of injury on a job site. The 844H has a number of features to ensure your operator gets safely on and off the 844H.
- Primary and secondary stairwell exits
- Punch stamped tread plates
- Ground level night time stairwell lights
- Full perimeter railings and toe kicks on upper platform
- Side platform emergency egress
- Optional roading fenders
With the 844H, design efforts were taken to group service points with convenient access. As seen in the serviceability section, all service points are at ground level or platform access to maintain three points of contact, and a number of disconnect switches are available to ensure the 844H is static during service.
Operator Health and Well Being
The 844H offers many features that enhance operator comfort and aid in keeping the operator safe.
- Ergonomic cab controls designed for easy adjustment, low effort and minimal motion
- Cab air filtration system
- Laminated cab glass to minimize sound levels
- Optional secondary steering
Cat Product Link
Cat® Product Link enables convenient, remote monitoring of equipment. Get usable information to keep jobs on schedule, maintain machine health and reduce fleet owning and operating costs.
- Simplify fleet management and monitor machine use
- Link all machines, regardless of brand
- Three levels of insight to meet specific business requirements
Terrain for grading ensures accurate execution of the design plan and enables safe operating practices. It can be used on a variety of machines in numerous applications from production dozing to reclamation, all helping you mine more safely and productively. Using Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) technology, machine mounted components, a radio network and office software; it enables efficiency improvements in mines around the world. Terrain for grading is an ideal tool for mine planning, engineering, surveying and grade control, production monitoring and other applications, including haul road and bench construction and maintenance; production dozing; leach pad construction and maintenance; reclamation and coal load out terminals.
Commitment to Meet Your Needs
Cat dealer 24/7 support offers solutions, services and products to help lower costs, enhance productivity and manage your fleet anywhere in the world. Expert technicians have the knowledge, experience, training, parts and tooling to keep your 844H when you need it most.
Caterpillar supports the 844H with a worldwide network of parts distribution, dealer service centers and technical training facilities. Our global dealer network is ready to meet your support needs around the clock and around the world.
Cat dealers offer a wide range of service plans to maximize uptime and return on your investment, including:
- Preventive Maintenance Programs
- Diagnostic Services such as Scheduled Oil Sampling and Technical Analysis
- Rebuild and Remanufactured Product Options
- Customer Support Agreements
Application and site-specific factors such as material density, dozing techniques, speed, grade, blade selection and maintenance influence the cost to operate and maintain your fleet. Your Cat dealer can provide help in understanding the effects application factors and operating practices have on maintenance and operating costs. They also offer training to help operators improve productivity, decrease downtime, reduce operating costs and enhance safety.
Are designed with excellent dozing and rolling characteristics.
- Capacities and widths are set to achieve increased productivity
- Special design allows for spreading of cover material as well as dozing of heavier loads
- High-strength, pressed rib construction
- Bolt-on cutting edges and bottom wear plates common with Cat Large Track-Type Tractors
- Fitted with Cat standard hardware and Ground Engaging Tools (GET)
- Rebuildable for long blade life
Is designed for precise and productive dozing while helping to retain load control with increased capacity for lighter materials. Wing angles help retain the load while dozing.
Combines the characteristics of the S and U blades into one package. Provides increased capacity with the addition of short wings which include only the dozer end bits without sacrificing spreading characteristics of straight blades.
Heavy-Duty Semi-U Blade
Has the same configuration as the Semi-U blade but is built with thicker plates for more severe applications.