Ergonomic Controls at the Operator's Fingertips
The ROPS/FOPS cabin has electric power window, electro-hydraulic hoist lever, trainer's seat, front brake cut-off switch, backlit LED gear numbers, and optional heater and air conditioner. The hoist lever is electro-hydraulic and fingertip actuated, providing low impact body-down snubbing.
Electronic Monitoring System (EMS) - Critical Data in Three Separate Displays
(1) Four-gauge cluster - coolant temperature, oil temperature, brake air pressure, fuel level (2) Tachometer, digital speedometer, actual gear indicator (3) Message center module
Contour Series Air Suspension Seat and Tilt-Telescoping Steering Wheel
Standard and fully adjustable, including an adjustable right-hand armrest. Steering wheel's ergonomic grip improves comfort and control. Low effort steering system and foot-operated retarder reduce operator fatigue. Turn signal lever includes high beam actuator and electric windshield wiper controls.
Visibility in an Integral, Quiet ROPS/FOPS Cab
Exceptional all-around viewing area reduces fatigue and improves operator confidence and productivity. Cab is resiliently mounted and sound-suppressed for a quiet, protected work environment, and is radio-ready.
Truck Production Management System (TPMS) (Optional) Provides Payload and Cycle Time Data
- Cat technology uses strut pressure sensors and on-board processors to determine payload weight.
- Consistently accurate payloads improve efficiency by minimizing overloading and underloading.
- On-board computer stores 1,400 cycles of payload weight, cycle times, distances and more.
Cat 3412E Air-to-Air After Cooled Diesel Engine
The four stroke design uses long power strokes for complete fuel combustion and optimum efficiency. High displacement/low speed rating extends engine life and meets China Nonroad Stage II Emissions Standards.
1) Valve Rotators 2) Turbocharger 3) Stellite-Faced Valves 4) Steel-Backed, Copper-Bonded Bearings 5) Oil Cooler 6) Forged Crankshaft 7) Adjustment-Free, Fuel Injection Pumps 8) Hydraulic Injectors 9) Forged Steel Pistons 10) Full-length, Water-Cooled Cylinder Liners
40 Percent Torque Rise Means Faster Cycle Times
High lugging force during acceleration and less downshifting on grade or rough underfoot conditions. Also effectively matches gear shift points for maximum efficiency.
3412E Power and Reliability Features
- High pressure injection
- Full electronic control
- Copper-bonded crankshaft bearings
- Hardened crankshaft journals
- Dry-type, radial seal air cleaners (primary, secondary elements, precleaner)
HEUI™ Delivers Excellent Fuel Control
Electronically monitors operator and machine inputs to optimize engine performance. Independently controls injection pressure, timing and duration over the engine operating range. Rate shaping technology modifies the heat release characteristics of the combustion process for significant decreases in sound and exhaust emission levels.
Electronic Control Module (ECM)
The ECM monitors key functions and logs critical indicators. The Electronic Technician can access this diagnostic information for easier maintenance and repair.
1) Lock-up Torque Converter Extends Transmission Life and Increases Operator Comfort
High rimpull and cushioned shifts with direct drive's efficiency and performance.
- Engages at approximately 6.9 km/h (4.3 mph), delivering more power to the wheels
- Quickly releases / re-engages during shifts, maintaining power wind-up
2) Cat Seven-Speed, Power Shift Transmission
A modulating pressure valve regulates clutch pressure to ease clutch engagement, reducing shock loads.
- Patented rotating clutch pressure seals minimize drag losses and improve reliability
- 35 percent gear splits between all gears match Cat engine design for optimum use of engine power with minimized shifting and torque converter use
- Matched with the 3412E engine for constant power over a wide range of operating speeds.
- Seven speeds forward, one reverse; second through seventh gears are direct drive
- First gear has both torque converter drive and direct drive
3) Final Drives
Final drive and differential torque multiplication of 17.48:1 further reduces stress on the drive train.
Axles, Wheel and Rims
Full floating axles are shot-peened to relieve internal stresses and increase durability. Rolled splines also provide increased service life. Cast rear wheels and center-mount rims are mounted using studs and nuts for maximum reliability.
Integrating Systems Improves Performance
Electronic control of the engine and transmission improves efficiency, lowers operating costs and extends machine life.
Cat Data Link
Integrates machine computer systems:
- Controlled Throttle Shifting regulates engine speed during shifts to reduce driveline stress, and deliver smoother shifts and longer component life.
- Economy Shift Mode modifies engine maps for lower fuel consumption.
- Directional Shift Management regulates engine speed during directional shifts to prevent damage.
- Elevated Idle Neutral Coast Inhibitor helps prevent shifts to neutral at speeds above 6.5 km/h (4 mph).
- Body-up Shift Inhibitor helps prevent transmission shifts above a preprogrammed gear without the body fully lowered.
- Event Memory stores operational data for Electronic Technician access. Data includes:
- Shift histograms - Operator-induced events - Lock-up clutch counter - Machine/Transmission overspeed
Electronic Technician (Cat ET)
Accesses engine and transmission data stored by the Cat Data Link System, and displays the status of all engine parameters.
Cat Electronic Monitoring System (EMS)
Displays information on request, and alerts the operator to abnormal conditions with a three-category warning system.
- Automatic Retarder Control (ARC) automatically controls retarding on grade, maintaining ±2,230 rpm.
- Traction Control System (TCS) improves performance in poor underfoot conditions by electronically monitoring and controlling wheel slip.
- Integrated Brake Controller (IBC) combines ARC and TCS, reducing electronic components and electrical lines.
1) Parking/Secondary Piston, 2) Service/Retarding Piston, 3) Friction Discs, 4) Steel Plates, 5) Actuating Springs, 6) Cooling Oil In, 7) Cooling Oil Out
Multiple Disc Brakes - Exceptional, Fade-Resistant Braking and Retarding
Cat multiple disc brakes use continuous forced oil-cooling. The optional ARC and TCS utilize the oil-cooled rear brakes to enhance truck performance and increase productivity.
Oil-Cooled Rear Disc Brakes
Designed and built for reliable, adjustment-free operation providing superior performance and service life in comparison to shoe-type and dry-disc systems. The system combines service, retarding and parking brake functions in a single unit. If hydraulic system pressure drops below a certain level, the spring applied secondary piston automatically applies the brake.
Oil Film Prevents Direct Contact Between Discs
Absorbing the braking forces by shearing oil and carrying heat away, this design extends brake life.
Spring-applied, hydraulically released, oil-cooled disc brakes are located on the rear axle. The front brakes will activate as part of the secondary system, even if switched out of service.
Spring-applied, hydraulically released parking brakes use wet disc brakes in the service system. A toggle switch activates the parking brake.
A Caterpillar patented, two-piston design combines the service, secondary and parking brakes, along with retarding functions.
Automatic Retarder Control (Optional)
The ARC electronically controls braking on grade to maintain approximately 2,230 rpm (engine rpm is adjustable from 2,150-2,300 rpm in increments of 10 rpm). ARC is deactivated when the operator applies the brakes or throttle.
Engine Overspeed Protection
With the accelerator depressed and/or ARC turned off, ARC will automatically activate at 2,475 rpm to help avoid potentially destructive and often costly engine overspeeds.
Traction Control System (Optional)
Senses if rear wheel slip exceeds the set limit, and automatically applies rear brakes to slow the spinning wheel.
An on-dash indicator shows the operator that TCS is engaged.
Utilizes normal differential action to provide superior maneuvering in poor underfoot conditions. Also reduces tire scuffing as compared to positive lock differentials used on other systems.
TCS divides torque equally to reduce stress created on final drives and axles when torque is transferred to one side.
Should sensors fail, the normal differential action is still available to maintain control and steering.
Designed To Handle a Variety of Material Densities.
Maximum payload in 3-5 passes with matched Cat loader in material over 1700 kg/m³ (2,900 lb/yd³).
Truck Body Features
- Sidewall and floor junctions use five-sided beams to resist impact loads and hauling stresses
- Box-section beams increase durability in the floor, sidewalls, top rail, corner and cab canopy areas
- 400 Brinell Steel wear surfaces provide excellent wear resistance and are easily cold welded
- Two-stage hoist cylinders raise in 9.5 seconds, lower in 12.5 seconds
- Standard Body comes exhaust heated with options including a full-time muffler or exhaust diverter
- Custom attachments include tail end liner, sideboards and more, to help ensure rated payload.
Dual-Slope Body Delivers Lowest Cost-Per-Ton
Efficient in most construction and mining applications, but excels on rough haul roads and steeper grades.
Body Floor Construction
- 8° "V" Bottom - Centers loads, lowers the center of gravity, increases retention, reduces shock loads
- 18° Ducktail and 9° Forward Body Slope - retains loads on 15% grade
- 12° Single Slope - Excellent wear characteristics and uniform dumping into hoppers, crushers and feeders.
The 773E frame uses 20 castings in high stress areas with deep penetrating and continuous wrap-around welding. Mild steel provides flexibility, durability and resistance to impact loads even in cold climates.
Rollover Protection Structure (ROPS)
The ROPS attaches securely to four castings welded into the frame.
Frame Features Include:
- Integral front bumper and front box beams for suspension cylinder and ROPS suppor
- Box-section rear crossmember for body and ROPS support with attachment points for maintenance platform and rear engine hood hinge suppor
- Castings provide additional strength in critical stress area
- Mild steel plates (290 MPa [42,000 psi] minimum yield strength) and castings (241 MPa [35,000 psi] minimum yield strength) provide flexibility, durability and easy field maintenance
- Castings provide additional strength in critical stress areas
Box-Section Frame Simplifies Access to Power Train Components
Open design reduces overall removal and installation time, lowering repair costs. Repairs can be made without preheating in ambient temperatures above 16° C (60° F) using readily available welding supplies.
Suspension System Dissipates Haul Road and Loading Impacts
Four independent suspension cylinders absorb shocks. Rear cylinders allow axle oscillation and absorb bending and twisting stresses. Front cylinders act as steering kingpins, for maneuverability and reduced maintenance.
Improved Serviceability and Machine Availability
Allows 30-50% faster engine service (changing most oil and filters). Improves service scheduling, allows servicing during normal work hours and reduces total engine service time.
The machine platform provides access to the air tanks, brake master cylinder and make-up tank; engine oil level; air filters; steering hydraulic tanks; and battery compartment.
Ground Level Battery Disconnect
Radial Seal Filters
Easy to change, radial seal filters reduce air filter maintenance times.
Vertical, Spin-On Filters
Simplified servicing and the elimination of spillage are benefits of vertical, spin-on filters.
Quick Coupler Pressure Taps
Sealed Electrical Connectors
Machine Management Service
Cat dealers help manage equipment investments with:
- Vehicle systems analysis to help match the right machine to the job
- Preventative maintenance programs
- S•O•S oil analysis and technical analysis programs
- Repair option analysis
- Training for operators and mechanics
- TPMS data analysis
The Caterpillar worldwide computer network locates parts instantly to minimize machine downtime.