The Cat C27 diesel engine is delivering 12% additional power to the drive train. As a result, new and more robust drive train components, including a larger drive shaft and differential gears, have been designed to handle the power.
G Series introduces a new planetary powershift transmission control strategy called APECS. APECS takes the benefits of Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC) and adds part throttle shifting and torque shift management. The result is exceptionally smooth automotive-type shifting and ride quality. APECS also retains torque and momentum through the shifts; increasing performance on grades. The result is quick starts from a standstill and exceptionally smooth shift and ride quality.
A new Traction Control System (TCS) is now steering sensitive to differentiate between tire spin or high speed turns. The system now uses the hydraulically applied service brakes (vs. spring applied secondary brakes), allowing it to engage sooner and at lower speeds. G Series TCS modulates power and braking instantaneously between the two wheel groups, allowing a more appropriate response to ground conditions and returning the truck to solid footing much sooner.
New Brake Design
G Series has increased the number of springs in its brake design. This increases the force available to disengage the brakes ensuring clearances are maintained, reducing wear. A new brake wear indicator can be found on the rear wheels to help you monitor brake life.
Extending brake life can also be achieved by choosing the optional Cat Engine Brake. This Caterpillar design works in conjunction with the ARC to slow the machine.
Rear Wheel Steel Spindles
G Series wheel spindles are solid steel and interchangeable from one side to the other, extending their useful service life.
Inverted Rear Cylinders
For G Series, Caterpillar has inverted the rear suspension cylinders to better protect the rods, keeping them cleaner for longer durations.
Updated castings, improved bolted joints, and a larger rear axle have matched the chassis design with the higher power ratings and performance specifications of the truck.
G Series trucks retain the highly productive and reliable Cat C27 diesel engine.
- With a 12% boost in power, the C27 is delivering higher torque for work.
- With the precision and responsiveness of Cat MEUI™ fuel injectors and electronic controls, the C27 accurately controls fuel, emissions, and performance.
- The C27 is carefully balanced with vibration controls that reduce noise and protect against unnecessary wear.
- The C27 is cooled by either a demand fan (standard on Tier 4/Stage V) or conventional cooling fan.
Planetary Powershift Transmission
With new control strategies, this proven transmission is better than ever. Its new features include gear changes as smooth as an automobile and more torque through the shifts, getting the truck up to speed faster and negotiating grades quicker.
Tier 4/Stage V Emission Controls
Caterpillar offers a simple and robust U.S. EPA Tier 4 and EU Stage V passive solution. Other than normal maintenance, this system requires no additional input or intervention by the operator.
Supported by cleaner burning, ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel, and low ash oils, Caterpillar uses its engine-mounted NOx Reduction System (NRS) Technology to cool combustion chamber temperatures to control NOx production.
Located on top of the engine are two diesel oxidation catalysts (DOC), one for each exhaust outlet. These diesel oxidation catalysts reduce particulate emissions.
Tier 4/Stage V C27 engines are equipped with MEUI-C injectors. These injectors offer exceptional fuel atomization for engines running at slower speeds. MEUI-C injectors have an improved fuel shut off response time, saving fuel and reducing emissions.
Caterpillar has made it easier to get the right body for your materials and jobsite needs.
The 773G has Dual Slope and Flat Floor body options.
Our base bodies have a 20 mm (0.78 in), 400 BNH steel floor. Adding a steel or rubber liner is optional for those applications when you are working with highly abrasive or high impact materials.
Two additional liner packages are available from the factory:
- A 16 mm (0.62 in), 400 BNH steel liner.
- A 102 mm (4.01 in) rubber liner.
- Sideboards are optional from the factory for the Flat Floor or Dual Slope bodies.
- A body heat diverter kit is optional for both Dual Slope and Flat Floor bodies.
- You will find additional body specifications at the back of this document.
Caterpillar’s 10/10/20 Policy
Caterpillar’s 10/10/20 Payload Policy is in place to help you maximize component life and the availability of your truck. Your Cat dealer can further explain the 10/10/20 Payload Policy. For optimum body life, Caterpillar recommends that 110% payloads occur no more than 10% of the time and that the average of all loads equal the target payload. Payloads in excess of 120% of target exceed the truck’s design parameters.
Your G Series truck has the ability to communicate and receive valuable information. Information that can lead you to producing at a lower cost per ton.
The instrument cluster is used primarily by the operator for quick and simple machine information at a glance. This display also warns the operator with solid lights (Category 1 Warnings) or flashing lights (Category 2 or 3 Warnings) as well as an audible alarm when an event is occurring.
Cat Advisor Display
The Advisor Display has five menus: 1. Operator: allows 10 people to set up individual profiles and preferences. 2. Monitor: displays four parameters per screen including: Payload – there are three sections: Payload State, Payload, and Target. Payload State – will display “Loading,” “Last Pass” or “Loaded.” Payload – displays the calculated payload weight, weight is taken twice to confirm. Target – displays the target payload. 3. Service: diagnostics including events, data logger, parameters, calibrations, and more. 4. Settings: set specific targets for autolube intervals, speed limit, and more. 5. Service Mode: a portal to password protected parameters.
Vital Information Management System (VIMS) is the hardware and software behind the machine information and payload tracking that comes through the Advisor display on your 773G truck. VIMS is standard, and like the Truck Production Management System, can greatly improve your ability to manage your fleet efficiency, machine production, and provide operators with vital machine information.
Truck Production Management System
Cat Truck Production Management System will help you get the best return on your truck investment by making sure you’re hauling appropriate payloads with every cycle.
- Indicator side lights show the loader operator when they are on their last pass and when the truck is fully loaded
- Truck Production Management System stores 2,400 payload cycles; reports on weights, haul cycle times, and distances with date and time stamps
Ton Kilometer per Hour (TKPH), Ton Mile per Hour (TMPH) Tire Monitoring
This program takes the payload value from Truck Production Management System, combines it with ambient air temperature, machine speed, and the manufacturer’s TKPH (TMPH) rating for your tires and calculates tire condition continuously. As a tire approaches its temperature limits, the operator gets a warning inside the cab. This Caterpillar exclusive feature is an important tool in your efforts to extend tire life.
NOTE: TKPH (TMPH) is a measure of the tire’s temperature limits to prevent reverse vulcanization of the tire and the associated damage.
Cat Product Link™*
Cat Product Link allows remote monitoring of equipment to improve overall fleet management effectiveness. Product Link is deeply integrated into machine systems. Events and diagnostic codes as well as hours, fuel, idle time, and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web-based application – VisionLink®. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
*Product Link licensing not available in all areas. Please consult your Cat dealer for availability.
G Series will introduce time-saving service improvements to simplify monitoring and maintaining machine fluid levels, help keep your site clean, and reduce your costs associated with service.
Fluid Fill Service Center
A new optional fluid fill service center is located on the right front side of the machine. Technicians can check the level of all machine fluids including:
- Transmission/torque converter hydraulic oil
- Hoist/Brake hydraulic oil
- Diesel fuel
- Engine oil
- Engine coolant
A lighted keypad will indicate three green lights if the fluid level is full, two green lights if the fluid level is at normal levels, and one light if fluid should be added.
Cab Fluid Level Monitoring
The fluid levels cannot be checked in the cab via the Advisor screen options menu. All the fluids are being monitored, but will only indicate to the operator when the level is below a safe operating level.
Electrical Service Center
An Electrical Service Center is also at ground level located on the right front bumper of the machine.
This service center offers connections to: 1. Master Disconnect Switch 2. Auxiliary Start Receptacle 3. Light 4. VIMS Port 5. ET Port 6. Hydraulics Lockout 7. Engine Lockout 8. Breaker – Engine Control 9. Breaker – Alternator 10. Breaker – Main Electrical
Brake Wear Indicator
G Series trucks will come equipped from the factory with a simple, time-saving brake wear indicator on the left rear wheel that provides technicians with a visible indicator for rear break wear levels.
Due to improved hydraulic system updates, which have made the system more efficient, Caterpillar is able to extend hydraulic filter life to 1,000 hours under normal operating conditions. All engine filters are conveniently grouped and easily accessible.
The 773G fuel tank is now larger (795 L or 210 gallons) to extend running time. The tank includes two new sight gauges that levels at ¼ full and ¾ full. Note that Tier 4/Stage V equipped machines require ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel and low ash engine oil.
Cab Air Filter Precleaner
An optional cab precleaner is available for air filters. This option can significantly extend your cab filter life and service intervals. Our field follow program machines saw significant benefits to filter life in the G Series machines.
Air Inlet Filters
The engine air inlet filters are conveniently located for secure, simple service.
Cat trucks offer operators a comfortable, confident ride with safety features that help them stay informed, alert, and in control.
- Ground level daily check points
- Excellent visibility using mirrors, optional camera (WAVS), and in-cab display
- Solid, stable walking/working platforms with good traction, material shedding, handrails
- Emergency egress from within the cab through a hinged right side window
- Ground level electrical service box for lockout/tag out, steering system lockout
- Ground level optional fluid fill center with level check keypad
- Secondary steering, engages automatically
- Three levels of braking (service, secondary, engine) red foot pedal for secondary brakes
- ROPS/FOPS structures in cab
- Brake wear indicator
- Three-point harness operator seat belt
- Trainer seat with lap belt
- Body up speed limiting
- Haul road speed limiting, setting safe conditions for everyone
- Automatic Retarder Control, smooth predictable performance
- New Traction Control System, returns the truck to solid footing sooner
- In-cab fluid level monitoring for operator
- TKPH/TMPH – Tire Monitoring System
- Truck Production Monitoring System providing payload, fuel, segment, and cycle time information
- Engine overspeed protection using ARC
- Three levels of warning for parameters outside of their working zones
At Caterpillar, sustainable designs have always been a priority. Cat trucks have historically offered industry leading availability, life cycles, and parts commonality. Today we offer even more ways to reduce our impact on the environment.
With G Series, Caterpillar is pleased to be releasing its first North American Tier 4 product. In addition to contributing to better air quality, G Series offers lower operator sound levels and new ways to conserve fuel.
- Fuel conservation features: two fuel economy modes, speed limiting, Auto Neutral Idle, Engine Idle Shutdown, new Traction Control System
- Keeping the site clean with grouped service locations; ecology drains and convenient, optional fluid fill and electrical service centers
- Reducing operator cab noise levels by 50% from previous trucks
- Longer component life for tires using TCS and TKPH/TMPH
- Longer life steel spindles, new brake designs, stronger frame
- Cat Reman parts offer recycling and reuse opportunities with no risk
- Longer service life for hydraulic oil filters (1,000 hrs), and air filters with precleaner installed
- Improved air quality with Tier 4 emission controls (for North America) reducing NOx and Particulate Matter by 90% over Tier 3 as well as reduced emissions from fuel conservation
- Parts commonality with other Cat equipment