water treatment could both save and make you money
Did you know U.S. landfills generate in excess of 7.2 billion gallons of leachate every year? How do you handle the leachate on your site? Is the process costly, time-consuming and keeping your employees from more important jobs?
There’s a new technology offering from HTX Solutions, that lets you treat leachate right at your landfill. The resulting treated leachate can be sent to a Publicly Operated Treatment Works (POTW) for indirect disposal, or in some states, safely discharged directly to the environment reducing your leachate disposal costs.
How it works
In 2017, Caterpillar invested in HTX Solutions, a global leader in wastewater treatment. Caterpillar supported HTX design and build of a modular, containerized, mobile solution that is placed on your landfill and removes hazardous and nonhazardous materials from leachate.
The HTX Leachate Treatment Solution typically generates approximately 95 gallons of on-spec treated leachate for every 100 gallons of raw leachate processed, concentrating the contaminants into a nonhazardous solid waste stream that can be disposed of in a Subtitle D Municipal Solid Waste landfill.
There’s little to no capital investment required to bring the HTX Leachate Treatment Solution onto your site. HTX Solutions owns the units; you simply pay per volume of leachate treated. HTX Solutions, with support of select Cat® dealer, will set up, connect, install, commission and test the units — then manage their operation and provide any necessary maintenance and repair. It’s a completely turnkey operation, and service contracts are flexible so you can pay as you go.
5 ways you could benefit
- Reduced operating costs: The HTX Leachate Treatment Solution decreases or eliminates the high costs of hauling leachate to a POTW — many of which are facing increasingly stringent effluent discharge regulations that may force them to cut back on or stop taking leachate altogether. The HTX solution can also render treated leachate suitable for reuse at your landfill for dust suppression or other purposes, decreasing freshwater purchases.
- Safe environmental discharge: The HTX Leachate Treatment Solution removes ammonia, ammonium, organics (COD, BOD, VOC and TOC), sulphates, boron, metals as well as per- and polyfluoroalkyl (PFAs) — helping you meet more stringent POTW inlet specifications, or in some states, qualify for a direct discharge permit allowing you to discharge treated leachate directly to the environment under a NPDES permit.
- Potential new revenue source: If you don’t reuse or discharge some or all of the leachate treated by your HTX Leachate Treatment Solution, you may be able to sell it for agricultural irrigation, cooling or boiler water make-up, equipment cleaning or other industrial applications.
- Lower energy usage: Traditional leachate treatment systems, including various forms of aeration and filtration, can have high energy demands. Using the HTX Landfill Leachate Treatment Solution eliminates the need for those systems. Plus, you also have the option to use landfill-generated gas to operate your units, which can reduce energy use even further and provide your site with carbon credits.
- Simple process in a small footprint: The HTX Leachate Treatment Solution is mobile, scalable and relocatable. You don’t need to worry about purchasing, installing, operating or maintaining multiple pieces of equipment (such as membrane bioreactors, moving bed biofilm reactors, reverse osmosis and ultrafiltration) or systems like activated sludge and anaerobic lagoons. And there’s no risk of equipment fouling that occurs in options with membranes or cartridges.
ready to get started?
If you’re interested in understanding how the HTX Leachate Treatment Solution could assist at your landfill, please send an email to Sales@hydrustech.com. HTX Solutions will gather data about your water management practices, conduct water sampling and testing, then recommend the best set-up for your landfill. Paid pilot testing is an option if you’re not ready to commit to a full-service agreement right away.