- The Cat® C18 engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final, EU Stage V, and Japan 2014 emission standards.
- The 988K XE emits up to 37% less CO2 than the previous 988K*.
- Cat diesel engines are required to use ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel with 15 ppm of sulfur or less) or ULSD blended with the following lower-carbon intensity fuels up to: 20% biodiesel FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) ** or 100% renewable diesel, HVO (hydrogenated vegetable oil) and GTL (gas-to-liquid) fuels. Refer to guidelines for successful application. Please consult your Cat dealer or “Caterpillar Machine Fluids Recommendations” (SEBU6250) for details.
- The Cat® clean emissions module includes Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technologies to reduce the engine’s emissions.
- Engine Idle Shutdown Timer reduces fuel burn, greenhouse gas emissions and unnecessary idle time by shutting down the machine after a pre-set idling period.
- Autodig helps you work more efficiently and productively and reduce fuel burn, greenhouse gas emissions, machine wear and operator fatigue.
- Auto Set Tires reduce tire wear and lowers fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Extended maintenance intervals not only reduce downtime but decrease the amount of fluid and filters that are replaced over the life of the machine.
- Rear Object Detection for the 988K XE helps enhance job site safety and blind spot awareness when operating in reverse.
- Cat® Payload technology maximizes loading efficiency, helping operators of every skill level work more accurately to reduce load time, fuel costs and greenhouse gas emissions. Upgrade to Advanced Payload for expanded features and capabilities that can further increase operator efficiency and accuracy.
*All comparisons to 988K. Productivity, fuel and CO2 emissions vary by application. CO2 emissions calculations based on a reference work cycle using 2.2 U.S. gallons per hour of #2 U.S. diesel fuel based. Applies IPCC2006 methodology using U.S. EPA Emissions Hub emission factors. Includes DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) related CO2. Fuel measurements are at 15°C. Estimated average fuel consumption improvements are based on tests or Product Link® data where available. Productivity improvements are based on test data. When compared to the 988H (2010) and accounting for productivity improvements, the 988K XE emits up to 45% less CO2 per ton of material moved.
**Engines with no aftertreatment devices can use higher blends, up to 100% biodiesel.