The Class Leading Operator Environment Just Got Better
- 74 dB(A) internal sound level across the range no matter the engine option.
- Heated seat to keep the operator warm no matter what the conditions are.
- Fantastic layout of switches and controls provide an ergonomic and comfortable operating environment all day long.
- A redesigned roof cap provides the operator with superior visibility to the loader at maximum dump height, from the comfort of the seat.
- Secure your investment with the Cat Backhoe Loader security system designed specifically for the Cat Backhoe Loader. This device will keep your investment secure, while providing easy access for up to 25 specified people.
- The loader control now gives you more power at your fingertips: differential lock, transmission neutralizer and auxiliary control.
- The cab design now incorporates a flat profile and flat glass to ensure replacement and security is as easy as possible.
The 428F2 is fitted with mechanical controls providing low effort operation, with the ability to choose between ISO (Excavator) or SAE (Backhoe) control patterns. Providing easy and safe operation for operators of any experience or ability.
The Proven Cat Engine Delivers Reliable Power on Demand
- The choice of a 68.5 kW, 70 kW or 74.5 kW power rating is available as an EU Stage II or an EU Stage IIIA engine. All options provide excellent performance for all applications.
- Outstanding fuel economy contributes to low owning and operating costs.
- A robust power pack, this engine has been seen in many divisions of Cat for a number of years and remains today a very popular option, delivering power when it is needed most.
- Proven world-class manufacturing and core engine designs ensure reliability, quiet operation, and many hours of productive life.
Axles and Differential Lock
The F2 Series of Cat Backhoe Loaders boast Heavy Duty Cat Axles
- Providing high durability, low noise levels and superb traction on uneven surfaces.
- Three chamber system provides constant lubrication of the heavy duty running gear and bearings on all gradients.
- 100% locking differential is fitted as standard on the Cat Backhoe Loader, ensuring maximum traction in all conditions.
Power Shift Transmission
This optional six speed transmission will perfectly match itself to the application, carefully selecting the appropriate gear whether you're driving between job sites or using the loader function. Now the gear box has been tweaked, smoothing gear shifts and extending the top gear providing a more efficient and comfortable driving experience.
The lock-up torque converter provides a direct ratio between power pack and driveline when in the roading gears. This results in a 16% decrease in fuel consumption and an 11% increased average speed. The lock-up torque converter is an invaluable addition for those traveling between job sites.
Powerful Load Sensing Hydraulic System
Intelligent hydraulics provide the right amount of power at the right time. Load sensing, closed center hydraulic system, actively matches hydraulic power and flow, allowing full hydraulic forces at any engine speed.
- Flow-sharing valves actively manage the flow of oil between each function of the machine. When the operator demands multiple operations the machine responds, providing smooth, effortless operation.
- The torque limiter on the machine helps to provide perfect synchronization between the engine, transmission and hydraulic system.
- Cat Backhoe Loaders have always provided a superior solution and this machine is no different. A high capacity variable displacement piston pump allows for perfect matching of power and operator demand, providing power when it is needed as well as great fuel economy.
The proven design of the F2 loader provides ultimate performance. This machine makes light work of lifting and loading.
- Parallel lift loader arms offer superb forward visibility and self leveling, ensuring excellent material retention throughout the lift and lower cycles.
- Ride Control option offers loader suspension to improve ride comfort when moving around the job site or transporting the machine on the road. There is also the added benefit of increased material retention providing an invaluable boost in productivity.
- The Return to Dig system returns the bucket to level, great for applications with repetitive work cycles.
Excavator Style Backhoe
Whether close-up truck loading or digging over obstacles, the excavator style boom tackles the toughest jobs with ease. Combining versatility with the powerful breakout forces, the controllability of the load sensing, flow-sharing hydraulic system and the 428F2 is capable of high levels of productivity with minimum effort. The boom is a narrow design, ensuring maximum visibility to the work tool and ground.
The 428F2 is available with an extendible stick that increases dig depth and reach capability increasing the machines versatility and utilization, reducing the amount of machine repositioning and therefore reducing site damage. A sliding inner section design helps to ensure the wear pads remain as dirt free as possible, extending adjustment and replacement intervals. Auxiliary lines, for operating hydraulic work tools, have been routed so that they are protected from damage when working in the narrowest of trenches.
Side Shift Frame
The F2 Series Side Shift Frame has exterior locking clamps, with no disassembly needed when servicing. The frame is a solid design with E-Coat protection, this prevents material build up in the frame and reduces the risk of rust, increasing the life of the frame.
Cat Cushion Swing
The 428F2 is equipped with Cat Cushion Swing, which enables very fast trenching by damping the boom oscillation during trenching cycles.
Powered Side Shift (optional)
Provides a hydraulic service to allow the operator to easily position the backhoe across the full width of the Side Shift Frame. Ideal for use in areas with minimal space and utility applications such as gas, electrical, and telecoms.
Loader – Loader Buckets
General Purpose loader buckets are available as well as the hydraulically operated Multi Purpose bucket. These come in a range of sizes from 0.96 m3 to 1.3 m3.
Loader – Other Available Loader Tools Include:
- Material Handling Arms
- Truss Booms
Backhoe – Excavating Buckets
Cat Work Tools provide a range of buckets in various sizes. It is easy to find the correct bucket for the application with a range including:
- Standard Duty
- Heavy Duty
- High Capacity
Backhoe – Other Available Backhoe Tools Include:
- Cold Planers
- Vibratory Compaction Plates
Backhoe – Backhoe Quick Coupler
Manual or hydraulic backhoe couplers make rear tool exchange quick, easy and safe. New Cat dual lock couplers have a self adjusting wedge design to ensure a tight fit. They also feature a safety lock which automatically engages.
Daily Service Points
Caterpillar understands that the easier a task is the more likely it is to be done. We have ensured that to service the Cat Backhoe Loader is as simple as it can be. All daily check points are grouped together and are easy to access. Sealed for life axles and driveshafts remove the need for operators to grease the time consuming and awkward areas below the machine.
Wear Pad Adjustments
The Extendible Stick (E-Stick) is designed to be self lubricating, to minimize the need for operator interaction. The stabilizers and E-Stick all have easily adjustable wear pads that require no disassembly. When wear pad adjustments are necessary, the adjustment bolts are easy to access, taking minutes to complete the adjustment.
All Cat filters are vertically mounted for spill free servicing and reduced oil contamination. These low micron filters remove microscopic particles from the oil, keeping the engine, transmission and hydraulic system running smoothly for years.
Hinged Cooling Pack
The hood opens to reveal the engine and a unique to Cat hinged cooling pack. The air conditioning pack lifts up and the radiator tilts forward with no tooling required, giving easy access for debris removal whether you are in the workshop or on a job site, keeping cooling performance to an optimum.
Customer Support Agreements
Your Cat dealer can offer a comprehensive range of CSA's which can be individually tailored to suit your finances and requirements. Dealers can offer a range of options from a full preventative maintenance with S∙O∙SSM package to a parts only CSA. Protect your valuable investment and know exactly what your monthly payments will be to help you run your business.
Have you explored the range of options available from your dealer to finance your machine? They can offer a selection of attractive packages tailored to suit your every requirement.
Your dealer can help you with your machine purchase decision, based on your requirements and help keep operating costs to a minimum. Is the machine you have in mind exactly the best for your job, or could there be a more suitable solution?
Training and Support
Speak to your dealer about additional support. They can advise you on operating techniques for your machines which will minimize wear and tear, maximize productivity, lower owning and operating costs and help you make the most of the fantastic features offered on the Cat Backhoe Loaders.