Cat C18 Engine
The Cat C18 engine is built and tested to meet your most demanding applications while meeting Tier 4 Final/Stage IV OR Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent OR Tier 2/Stage II Equivalent emission standards.
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Featuring all new Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Shifting (APECS) transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
Enable your operators to maximize efficiency by varying machine rimpull while putting more horsepower to hydraulics.
- Reduced tire wear
- Enables full throttle shifts for faster cycle times
- Provides smooth approach to the dump target for less spillage and faster cycle times.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat
- Improves travel speeds
- Reduces cycle times in load and carry operations
Enabling maximum productivity and efficiency, all day every day. The 988K systems work hard to save you fuel through advanced technologies. Utilizing On Demand Throttle, operators maintain normal operation with the left pedal and implements while the 988K manages the engine speed.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock operation.
- Reduced fuel consumption by up to 20% compared to the 988H.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
- Lower hitch pin, frame plate, and bearing size have been increased for longer life.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress relieved lift arms increase durability and lengthen time to repair.
To ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design with an auto lube system attachment available from the factory.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and less operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Four forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C18 Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 988K comes from the Cat C18 Engine. Optimum performance is built in through the use of a 6 cylinder, four-stroke design.
- Optimized performance and quick engine response with an electronic control module.
- Reliable efficiency with complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure with Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™).
- Extended engine life and improved fuel efficiency with reduced rated speed.
- Designed to meet Tier 4 Final/Stage IV OR Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent OR Tier 2/Stage II Equivalent emission standards.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
Lower your cost per ton utilizing advanced ICTC and RCS for modulated rimpull.
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever movement.
- Fast, productive cycles are enabled by the fully variable implement pump.
- Increase bucket feel and control through increased hydraulic response.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
- Full hydraulic flow down to 1,400 engine rpm enabled by flow sharing technology.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Confident loader operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 988K's load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 43 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Case drain screens.
- Hydraulic oil cooler return filter.
- Pilot filter.
- Return screens inside hydraulic tank.
- Axle oil cooler screens if equipped.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and helps reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
Your operator's productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolated cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Reduced operator sound levels.
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Integrated electronics provide flexible levels of information to both the site and the operator. This integration creates a smart machine and more informed operator, maximizing the productivity of both.
We have worked hard to help our customers and operators perform at their best through our newly upgraded touch screen information display.
- Intuitive operation and easy navigation with our enhanced user interface.
- Decrease service time by keeping operators informed about machine systems.
- Quick on-the-go weighing with the Cat Production Measurement.
Cat Product Link™
With the Product Link telematics system, you no longer have to rely on guesswork when managing your machine.
- Access information through the easy-to-use VisionLink® website.
- Optimization of the machine availability through constant accessible information about machine systems and diagnostic codes.
- Track machine health with overviews of productivity, fuel consumption and payload.
- Up-to-date information on machine location, operating hours and geopolitical jurisdiction.
Vital Information Management System (VIMS™)
Connect directly to the machine for access to a wide range of sensor information and enhanced machine data.
- Create productivity reports with payload and work cycle segmentation.
- Identify operator training needs through productivity data.
- Detailed data logging of machine parameters and diagnostic codes.
- Track machine sensor information with trend analysis and histograms to monitor machine health.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Left and right hand stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 988K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision or optional Cat Detect with radar increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional HID or LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat.
Reducing the Impact to the Environment
Sustainability is designed and built into our 988K's features.
- Burns up to 20% less fuel than the previous model to minimize your carbon footprint.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste with our maintenance free batteries.
- Built for multiple lives, the Cat 988 is one of the most rebuilt products. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
For full truck payloads with minimum loading time, an efficient loading/hauling system starts with a perfect match. Cat wheel loaders are matched with Cat off-highway trucks to maximize volume of material moved at the lowest operating cost per ton. The 988K equipped with the standard linkage will pass match the 770 (36 tonnes/40 tons) in 3 passes and the 772 (45 tonnes/50 tons) in 4 passes. Equipped with a high lift linkage the 988K is capable of loading a 773 (56 tonnes/61.7 tons) in 5 passes and the 775 (64 tonnes/70 tons) in 6 passes.
Enhance the productivity of your loader and protect your investment in buckets with our Ground Engaging Tools (GET). Your knowledgeable Cat dealer will work with you to understand your application and needs for the GET that is best for you.
Performance Series Buckets
Performance Series Buckets feature an optimized profile maximizing material retention and minimizing dig time, translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements. All 988K buckets are manufactured with the Performance Series design.
Applications: Face loading tightly compacted pit materials.
General Purpose Bucket
Applications: Loading loose, stockpiled material.
Multiple GET options are available to customize your 988K to your application, such as:
- Sidebar protectors.
- General duty and penetration tips.
- Standard and half arrow segments.
Data from customer machines show Cat wheel loaders are among the most fuel efficient machines in the industry. Several features contribute to this excellent fuel efficiency:
- Performance Series Buckets - Deliver faster fill times and better material retention, ultimately reducing cycle times while improving productivity and fuel efficiency.
- Positive Flow Control Hydraulics - Provides only the hydraulic flow required by the implement and steering systems for improved fuel efficiency and greater rimpull.
- Engine - Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Economy Mode - Featuring On Demand Throttle, Economy Mode optimizes power for maximum fuel savings with minimal impact on production.
- Engine Idle Shutdown - Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Lock up Torque Converter - Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) - All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points. Machine configuration, operator technique, and job site layout can impact fuel consumption.
- Machine Configuration - Select the correct work tool and tire type based on machine application. Ensure proper inflation pressures. Utilize the Economy Mode setting for maximum efficiency.
- Job Site Layout - Spot loading targets in the right position. Avoid traveling more than 1.5 tire revolutions during truck loading cycles. Reduce transport distance for load and carry cycles by optimizing job site layout.
- Loading Bucket - Load in first gear. Raise and tilt bucket quickly and do not use a “pumping” motion. Avoid lift lever detent and use impeller clutch.
- Loading Truck or Hopper - Do not raise the work tool any higher than necessary. Keep engine rpm low and unload in controlled manner.
- Idle - Set the parking brake to engage Engine Idle Management System.