From wide slip-resistant surfaces and guard rails to state-of-the-art collision avoidance technologies, the Cat® 789 is infused with features to help operators feel safe and confident on the job.
Features include retractable, seat/shoulder belts with three-point operator restraint, body raised indicator, body retaining cable, guard rails, reverse neutralizer when dumping, low interior sound level, secondary steering system, and ground level access shutoff switches.
• Superior control is delivered by patented braking system that provide immediate, fade-resistant braking and retarding
• Cab design protects the operator by five-sided ROPS/FOPS (rolling or falling-object protective structure) coverage
• Wide-angle mirrors plus a birds-eye view offered by Cat Vision 360 improves visibility
• Driver Safety System alerts the operator if fatigue or distraction is detected
• Integrated dash display for eyes-forward viewing
The new Cat® 789 Mining Truck builds on a legacy of proven performance to offer efficiency gains, the next generation of cab comfort, and cutting-edge connectivity. Its design offers a weight advantage over the competition to haul more material every load and deliver a cost-per-ton advantage.
• With the highest horsepower in its class, 789 hauls 10 percent more payload and is over 5 percent faster on grade than competitive trucks
• Fuel consumption is up to 9 percent less that the Tier 2 design
• Advanced powertrain extends engine life by 12 percent plus delivers better shifting and acceleration
The 789 delivers a faster speed on grade than competitive trucks, reducing cycle times and lowering overall costs.
• The 23% net torque rise provides unequaled lugging force during acceleration, on steep grades and in rough underfoot conditions. Torque rise effectively matches transmission shift points for maximum efficiency and fast cycle times
• Expanded tire options allow mines to take advantage of higher speeds, particularly in flat long-haul high-speed applications
MORE POWER AND FLEXIBILITY WITH EMISSIONS OPTIONS
789 is powered by the reliable Cat® 3516E quad turbocharged engine with 16-cylinder, four-stroke design. It uses long, effective power strokes for more complete fuel combustion and optimum efficiency. Emission choices are available to meet global regulations.
• Fuel Optimized choice for lesser regulated countries
• U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final and EU Stage V emissions standards choice (option)
• Both have selectable power ratings of 1417 kW (1,900 hp) or 1566 kW (2,100 hp)
• Cat 3516E is 12% more durable than previous 3516C, extending life and reducing costs
MOVE MORE WITH LESS FUEL
Offering smoother transitional shifting for a comfortable ride, the 789’s Advanced Power Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) transmission delivers productivity and efficiency improvements that reduce cycle times.
• Forward momentum and torque are maintained while shifting with optimum gear selection resulting in faster acceleration
• More continuous torque and rimpull deliver more power to the ground, making it possible to use a higher gear on grade to optimize fuel efficiency
• Zero fuel burn during retarding contributes to low fuel consumption overall
STATE OF THE ART ENVIRONMENT AND DATA ACCESS
The 789 Mining Truck’s larger, more ergonomic, next-generation cab improves operator efficiency and productivity.
• Larger cab is 17 percent wider
• Walk-through design has fully adjustable center console
• Overall, there is 34 percent more operator space, including more leg and shoulder room
• Quieter with 40 percent less sound pressure level
• Automated temperature control and cab filtration for a more comfortable environment
• Two ideally located 254-mm (10-in) screens consolidate all machine data, controls and guidance information, and applications like Cat MineStar™ to reduce the number of required displays
• Speed coaching provides operators real-time feedback on truck operation to maximize productivity
• More accurate measurements on the payload monitoring system improve load tracking
• 360-degree surround view camera with object detection to alert operators to hazards within the immediate vicinity
• Auto Hoist feature option automatically raises the body and controls engine speed
Fully integrated Cat electronics on the new 789 includes 100 Mbps, two-wire ethernet connectivity for faster data transfer to improve access to information. The future-proof technology platform includes every 789 being factory-equipped with Product Link Elite™ with standard connectivity via cellular 4G/LTE and available cellular/satellite radio for reliable data transfer.
The ability to access and analyze accurate, real-time data enables faster diagnostics and enhances the ability to predict and prevent machine failure, improving truck uptime availability. A new telematics platform promotes greater data acquisition and faster transmission to locally hosted or cloud-based applications such as Cat® MineStar™ Solutions.
CAT MINESTAR SOLUTIONS
Whether you want to address a single challenge or make step changes in the overall safety, efficiency and productivity of your surface operation, Cat® MineStar™ has a solution for you. MineStar is the mining industry's most comprehensive and thoroughly integrated suite of technology offerings.
Cat Fleet helps you identify opportunities to improve truck efficiency in ways that reduce costs, boost productivity, and add real value to your bottom line such as eliminating queuing, optimizing shift changes, and reducing fuel stops.
COMMAND FOR HAULING
This autonomous hauling solution helps improve productivity, efficiency and profitability while reducing overall costs.
What if your trucks could respond to calls to the shovel, move into position, haul to dump points and even report for maintenance — all without an operator on board? That's what Cat Command for hauling enables.
But this autonomous Cat MineStar solution is more than just an operator-free system. It takes advantage of the most sophisticated technologies available to deliver a next-generation haulage solution — one that boosts safety, productivity, and availability on busy mine sites, especially those in difficult or remote locations. With autonomous hauling, the future is here — and we're there to help you bring it to your operation.
With the MineStar Detect proximity detection system, you can equip your 789 with cameras to give your operators a better view of what's happening around their equipment — or combine cameras and radar into a true object detection system that automatically alerts operators to hazards.
You can even add satellite capabilities to provide proximity warnings and avoidance zones, seat-belt monitoring that encourages operators to buckle up, and in-cab systems that intervene when they detect fatigue or distraction.
When it comes to truck bodies, one size does not fit all. And when it comes to your Cat truck, Cat bodies are the best choice. We follow a dynamic approach to engineering — treating the body as part of a system rather than a static structure. Cat bodies are designed to be an integral part of the entire vehicle system, ensuring you achieve maximum chassis life.
• They're sized to meet payload requirements without compromise to vehicle balance, braking or control
• From the design to the materials, manufacturing to shipping, the entire process meets Cat standards of quality and control
• The Caterpillar exclusive 10/10/20 payload guidelines help achieve a balance of excellent payload with safe operation
A choice of multiple body style configurations allows mines to equip the 789 to meet specific site needs. The High-Performance Body maximizes payload by reducing the weight by 2.0 to 5.0 tonnes (2.2 to 5.5 tons) or more. The Mine Specific Body excels in mature mines, while the Combination Body combines features of high volume and optional liners to haul both ore and overburden. The original standard, Dual Slope Body, provides excellent load retention, and the X Body features the latest structural designs and offers more volume at a lower weight.
Multiple key contributors to truck downtime have been reduced on the 789 helping further improving performance and reduce costs.
• Modular HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system consolidates components, so the entire system can be removed and replaced quickly
• Modular radiator enables rebuilds to be completed off the truck
• Extended-interval filters have ground-level access
• Service points are grouped and there is centralized service center option
• Coolant life is extended to 12,000-hours
• Hydraulic and transmission filter life has doubled to 1,000 hours
• Remote Flash and Remote Troubleshoot provide instant access to software updates and make it possible to remotely troubleshoot the truck
VERTICAL INGETRATION ADVANTAGE
The individual components, software, systems, and engine that go inside a Cat truck are all manufactured by Caterpillar and supported by the Cat dealer network. This integration ensures that the entire truck — from body to bumper, engine to electronics — can be fully optimized to deliver the lowest cost per ton.
• Full systems optimization delivers peak performance and efficiency
• Parts commonality parts across models and other products minimizes inventory requirements
• Less training is required when fewer systems are utilized
SUPPORT THROUGHOUT THE EQUIPMENT LIFECYCLE
No one knows more about how to get the most from a piece of Cat equipment than your local Cat dealer. This one-of-a-kind, on-the-ground support network delivers expert service, integrated solutions, after-sales support, fast and efficient parts fulfilment, world-class rebuild and remanufacturing capabilities, and more.
Cat dealers operate as nearly 200 local businesses — each one fully embedded in and committed to the geographic area it serves. That means you work with people you know, who know your business, and who respond on your timeframe.
MINING FOR A BETTER WORLD
Governments and regulatory agencies mandate that you establish and follow environmentally sound policies and practices as you meet the demand for mined materials. We're focused on doing our part to make sure our trucks help you meet those regulations.
We've designed the 789 with several enhancements that lessen waste and its impact on the environment.
• Oil renewal systems
• Continuous rear axle filtration
• Extended life filters
• Longer maintenance intervals
• Emission choices with selectable power ratings
We also continue to research alternative energy sources such as biofuels (B20) and a liquefied natural gas-supplied Dynamic Gas Blending solutions to find new ways to reduce emissions. In addition, we preserve raw materials, conserve energy, and reduce emissions through the Cat Reman program, which returns end-of-life components to like-new condition.
BUILT TO BE REBUILT
Cat trucks are designed to last over 100,000 hours, and many are going well beyond that. The frame, powertrain, engine, and components are built to be rebuilt — using new, remanufactured, or rebuilt parts and components — so you can take advantage of multiple lives of like-new performance at a fraction-of-new price.