Organized by Demolition and Recycling International, the 2021 World Demolition Awards saw a record number of entries, with more than 50 projects and products from 36 different companies making the final cut. From that shortlist, 14 winners were honored at an awards ceremony held during October’s World Demolition Summit 2021 in Chicago.
After capturing the “Manufacturers’ Innovation Award: Plant & Equipment for the 352 UHD excavator” in 2020, Caterpillar earned the “Manufacturers’ Innovation Award: Tools & Attachments” in 2021 for these demolition tools and technologies:
- Hydraulic Connecting S Type (HCS) Couplers: These couplers save time with every tool change. They connect to a machine’s hydraulics and electronics, allowing an operator to pick up an attachment with full functionality in seconds without ever leaving the cab.
- Updated Pulverizers: Both rotating and non-rotating versions of Cat dedicated pulverizers now feature the latest speed booster technology and replacement wear components that reduce weld maintenance and downtime.
- PL161 Attachment Locator: Mounted to any attachment, this device makes it simple to track location across multiple worksites and monitor hours worked to predict the need for maintenance or replacement of wear parts. On Next Generation Cat Excavators, the locator’s work tool recognition feature saves even more time and energy — a quick shake confirms the tool’s identity and ensures all attachment settings are correct, so operators can get to work quickly and efficiently.
- Cat Command: This remote-control solution removes the operator from the cab in potentially dangerous situations — not only making the work safer but also making it easier to concentrate on the task at hand. Two options are available: line-of-sight control for use on the demolition site or a universal command station that can control the machine from anywhere in the world.
- Ultra-High Demolition (UHD) Excavator Technology: Cat UHD machines now feature a host of tools and technologies to assist operators in working more safely, efficiently and productively. 2D E-fence keeps the front linkage within a predefined work area to avoid hazards. Grade with 2D delivers real-time guidance to improve accuracy and speed of work. Payload provides on-the-go weighing of material in the bucket to boost loading efficiency. And Auto-Stop for hammers prevents damage caused by over-hammering in a single spot.
Congratulations to all the winners of the 2021 World Demolition Awards, and thanks to Demolition & Recycling International for recognizing Caterpillar’s innovation in the area of demolition tools.