The revolutionary Adaptive Hydraulic System combines industry-leading and patent-pending dedicated pump-flow allocation technology with proven Cat features like independent oil cooling and boom float to generate flow and pressure, without waste – providing a 20% fuel efficiency advantage.
Dedicated Pump-flow Allocation Technology
- There are six main pumps, comprised of three identical double pumps, supply cylinders, travel motors and swing motors. Each of these main pumps can be used for any cylinder function, with priority to swing and travel.
- Pump flow of each circuit is directly controlled by the position of the joystick, which maximizes the hydraulic efficiency of the engine and dramatically reduces load factors.
- No oil flow must be throttled
- No high-pressure oil is returned to the tank
- Pump flow allocation can be supplied simultaneously to independent circuits (functions) or summarily for a single circuit (function), which enables the operator to directly control the speed of each function.
- More precise digging of slopes and trenches, especially on construction sites
- Faster cylinder speeds on production mine sites
Independent Cooling System
- The return oil cooling system is fully independent from the engine cooling system
- Cooler system temperatures extend component life
- During boom lowering, the float feature reduces engine demand
- Regeneration of boom oil increases energy efficiency
- Reduced load factors and efficiency gains are the basis for longer component life expectancies
- Hydraulic value block is mounted on the boom, providing easier access for service
Consistent Oil Cleanliness for Dependable Hydraulic System Performance
The hydraulic system design has been optimized for peak performance and reliability.
- Machine comes equipped with standard high-pressure and return oil filtration.
- A separate kidney loop provides continuous filtration and optimum oil cleanliness at all times, supporting the hydraulic system.
ADVANCED HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
- No excess oil flow
- No excess high pressure oil
- Lower hydraulic oil temperatures
- Less cooling required
- Fuel Savings (20% MORE FUEL EFFICIENT)
- Energy efficiency
- Component life
- Hydraulic Pump Utilization
Protect and Extend the Life of Your Hydraulic Components and Seals
Providing an efficient means of cooling, particularly in demanding applications, our unique independent oil cooling system will extend the life of your hydraulic shovel's components.
More Efficient Oil Cooling
Our system is independent of return oil, achieving efficiency through the utilization of dedicated pumps that provide cooling capacity as needed, whether the engine is idling or under load. That means optimum oil temperature is being maintained, even while your operator waits for the next truck to load. Competitive hydraulic shovels only provide cooling when the machine is working and the engine is under load.
Additional efficiency is achieved via:
- Variable oil flow
- Variable fan speed
Optimal Oil Temperature Maintained
Our unique independent oil cooling system ensures that system operating temperatures remain within the optimal operating viscosity range at all times.
Enhanced Control Response and Optimized Hydraulic Engine Load Management
Help your team meet productivity and performance standards with our intuitive, informative on-board electronics.
Electro-hydraulic Servo Control
- Enhanced Control Response Resulting in Increased Operator Comfort – The system relays actuating signals from the joysticks, delivering load independent and precise machine reactions that reduce operator fatigue.
- Increased Up-time – Up-time is increased as a result of simplified troubleshooting and advanced diagnostic capabilities.
- Clean and Quiet Cab Environment – No hydraulic lines are present in the cab or the cab module, ensuring a clean, odorless arrangement with less noise.
Control and Monitoring Platform (CAMP)
- Reduced Control System Inventory – Streamlined system requires only two controllers for all functions (i.e., drive train and servo).
- Less Fuel Consumption – Both engine and hydraulic pumps work in optimal range of performance during the entire digging cycle, reducing fuel burn.
Sharing your commitment to safety, and driven by our commitment to Zero Harm, we work tirelessly to design the safest machines possible to protect your most important asset; your employees.
Some examples of the safety-enhancing features of the Cat 6020B Hydraulic Mining Shovel include the following:
- Optimized operator situational awareness and safe machine positioning/truck-loading via class leading cab visibility.
- Safe training environment facilitated by unobstructed view of digging environment and accessibility of emergency stop button from both seat belt equipped trainer seats.
- Operator Protective Guard (Top Guard) certified cab with safety glass windshield.
- Cab equipped with emergency hammer for quick escape and ready access to emergency ladder.
- Safe access to shovel via retractable 45° stairway.
- Safe access to power module components from machine platform and counterweight.
- Safe movement about the machine via wide and slip-resistant walkways, limited walkway elevation changes (steps up/down), and minimized trip hazards.
- Quick exit from machine during emergency facilitated by three means of egress.
- Excellent power module and cab sound suppression system to protect operators and service personnel.
- Safe electrical maintenance facilitated by lockable battery isolation and starter lockout switch.
- Multiple emergency stop buttons strategically located around machine for immediate engine shut-down, including a pull switch accessible from the ground.
Designed to Start Producing Almost Immediately Upon Arrival on Site
The modular design of the 6020B facilitates quick field assembly. The average assembly time in typical conditions is 14 days; however, similar assembly times were achieved with pilot machines assembled at –30° C (–22° F).
Reduced Downtime Due to Exchangeable Power Module
Our exchangeable power module, which contains the most vital machine operating systems, can be quickly removed and replaced with a spare power module to increase machine uptime.
This capability also allows for transporting of the power module away from the production area to allow service and repair in a safe, convenient, and clean environment.
Service Friendly, with Unparalleled In-class Component Accessibility
The 6020B was designed to be easily serviced and maintained:
- Exceptional component accessibility and weather protection via first-in-class and spacious walk-through power module.
- Superior swing system component accessibility via boom-mounted hydraulic valve block.
- Ground-level accessible service fluid fill points and jump start receptacle.
- Automatic centralized lubrication system.
- 24 hour non-stop machine operation capability.
- Extensive troubleshooting capability via hydraulic service ports.
- Streamlined maintenance and parts availability with integrated Cat components.
A Single Source for All Service and Maintenance Needs
With the use of Cat components throughout, you can rest assured that your local Cat dealer is your most knowledgeable and trusted single source for your 6020B service and maintenance needs. Cat dealer expert technicians have the unique knowledge, experience, training, and tooling necessary to fully support your 6020B hydraulic shovel, no matter the need or where your site is located.
Continued Support throughout the Life of Your 6020B
Consistent with any piece of Cat equipment, the 6020B is designed and built to provide maximum productivity, capability and operating economy throughout its working life. To help you meet these performance levels with your 6020B, Cat dealers offer a wide range of service plans that maximize uptime and return on your investment, including:
- Preventative maintenance programs
- Diagnostic programs, such as scheduled oil sampling and technical analysis
- Rebuild and reman options
- Customer support agreements
And although the 6020B is designed for easy operation, your Cat dealer can arrange training programs to help your operators improve productivity, increase uptime, reduce operating costs, and enhance safety.
No One Knows Your 6020B Hydraulic Shovel Better
The vast majority of Cat dealers across the globe have supported our line of hydraulic shovels for over a decade, so they are uniquely equipped to optimize the performance of your 6020B with their unmatched Cat hydraulic shovel expertise. This expertise includes a deep understanding of how the 6020B is best applied and utilized in all types of applications, so they can take your site-specific factors into account to help lower your operating and maintenance costs.
Parts Available When You Want Them
Receiving 6020B parts from your local Cat dealer is streamlined through the optimized use of Cat components, integrated part numbers, and stocking of parts in local Caterpillar warehouses. Your 6020B will be supported 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by a worldwide network of parts distribution facilities, dealer service centers, and technical training facilities to keep it up and running at peak performance levels.
Simple and Cost-effective Single Engine Concept
When we asked you what design features you desired most from a 200 metric ton (220 short ton) size class hydraulic backhoe, a single-engine platform was a top request. We listened by designing the 6020B with a single C32 ACERT engine for reliable performance and simple and cost effective service when needed.
Reliable Cat C32 ACERT Engine
Delivering durable, reliable power that will keep your 6020B producing, the C32 ACERT has proven its ability to perform in harsh mining conditions throughout the world. Offering low operating costs, and supported 24/7 by your local Cat dealer, the C32 ACERT will help you achieve your production and profitability targets, reliably.
The development of ACERT Technology began with the search for a better way to reduce diesel engine emissions, and culminated in a revolutionary engine design breakthrough that burns fuel more precisely than ever before. Lower combustion temperatures reduce emissions and prolong the life of lighter, more power-dense engine platforms. It also varies the injection timing based on factors like engine load and speed for optimum performance under a wide range of operating conditions, including mining.
Worldwide Cat Engine Support
Our engines are only as good as the service and support that stand behind them. Highly trained and experienced service technicians at your local Cat dealership are ready with whatever you need, wherever and whenever you need it. They know the Cat C32 ACERT engine inside and out, so they can promptly diagnose issues and keep your 6020B running at peak performance.
The 6020B is offered with two variations of the C32 engine with ACERT Technology. One will meet Tier 4 Final emission standards and will be required for sale in higher regulated countries. The other option will emit equivalent to Tier 2 for lesser or non-regulated countries.
The 6020B meets Tier 4 Final emission standards using:
- Cat NOx Reduction System – captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it into the combustion chamber where it drives down temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
- Dual Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOCs) – use a chemical process called oxidation to condition exhaust gases to meet emission standards.
- MEUI™-C Fuel System – delivers increased fuel efficiency, while further reducing NOx emissions. Ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel and low ash oil are required.
The Tier 4 Final solution of the C32 ACERT engine has a maintenance free aftertreatment design, which uses the systems above to meet emissions standards. Designed to meet performance demands with lower cost of ownership, the primary advantages of this solution include:
- Engines optimized for low fuel consumption at 1,800 rpm and lower speeds
- Significant gains in fuel consumption delivered through collaboration of engine and machine integration
- Maximum uptime, without work interruption for regeneration, engine derate, or cold weather treatment of secondary fluid
Lower service times and costs
- Same long life to overhaul, with maintenance-free Diesel Oxidation Catalysts
- No secondary fluid or storage tanks
- No retrofit of current or purchase of new service truck to accommodate storage and delivery of secondary fluid
- No expensive special treatment in cold climate areas due to freezing point of secondary fluid
- Easy access filters
Helping You Enhance Safety and Productivity through Technology
Aimed at enhancing the productivity and profitability of your 6020B hydraulic mining shovel, we currently offer a combination of Cat MineStar System offerings and Cat hydraulic mining shovel technology solutions.
Cat MineStar System
Helping you achieve your goals for enhanced mine site safety, improved efficiency, reduced operating costs, and greater profitability, the Cat MineStar System provides the most comprehensive suite of mining technology products in the industry. It consists of a number of configurable capability sets – Fleet, Terrain, Detect, Health, and Command – that allow you to scale the system to your mine site needs. Cat MineStar System helps you manage everything from material tracking to sophisticated real-time fleet management, machine health systems, autonomous equipment, and more.
The Cat 6020B is "MineStar ready", offering MineStar Health as a fully integrated option, as well as the Fleet, Terrain, and Detect as retrofit options.
- Health – Health delivers critical event-based machine condition and operating data for your entire fleet. It includes comprehensive equipment health and asset monitoring capabilities with a wide range of diagnostic, analytic and reporting tools.
- Fleet – Fleet provides real-time machine tracking, assignment and productivity management, providing a comprehensive overview of all your asset operations from anywhere in the world.
- Terrain – Terrain enables high-precision management of drilling, dragline, grading and loading operations through the use of guidance technology. It increases machine productivity and provides you real-time feedback for improved efficiency.
- Detect – Detect provides equipment operators with enhanced awareness for increased site safety, using a combination of radars, an in-cab display, and multiple cameras.
Please speak to your local dealer for more information on MineStar for the 6020B.
Hydraulic Shovel Technology Solutions
- Monitoring and Diagnostic System – Enhancing diagnostic capabilities and providing detailed troubleshooting functions, our Board Control System uses sensors throughout the machine to monitor operating data, record faults, and notify the operator audibly and visually. This promotes the earliest possible detection of faults and allows for timely maintenance planning and assistance for speedy repair.
Enabling the Use of Advanced Hydraulics with an Open-loop Swing Circuit
The 6020B includes an open-loop swing circuit that interacts well with its newly designed advanced hydraulics. Utilizing patent-pending dedicated pump flow allocation technology, hydraulic pumps are allocated to individual circuits on demand, allowing all produced oil flow to be translated into cylinder motion, optimizing hydraulic efficiencies and reducing heat generation. To fully leverage the advantages of this innovative technology, the open-loop swing system was incorporated for its use of a common set of pumps to serve all functions and the flexibility it offers for utilization of hydraulic flow.
More Reliable Swing Component Life
Extending component life and ultimately improving machine uptime, our swing system includes a triple-race swing roller bearing with internal gearing connected to an automatic lubrication system.
For added reliability, all lube lines supplying the swing roller bearing are located inside the superstructure for maximum protection.
Cat Buckets Increase Productivity
Cat buckets are designed to match your Cat 6020B mining shovel, providing optimum payload and machine efficiency while protecting your investment. Bucket wear surfaces are armored with replaceable wear materials to extend the life of your bucket. Cat buckets are easy to rebuild, with all parts available through your Cat dealer. Trust Cat to give you long service life without adding excessive weight.
- Sized to match the 6020B mining shovel and your application
- Cat G.E.T. systems
- Various wear packages available to meet your site-specific requirements
G.E.T. Quality and Performance Made Easy
Increase your operational efficiency and productivity with hammerless Cat G.E.T. designed specifically for the 6020B hydraulic mining shovel. By designing our own G.E.T., we are able to take a production focus, rather than a component focus, to optimize performance across the entire machine. And like all Cat G.E.T., it is fully supported by your local Cat dealer.
- Simple: No special tools required for Removal & Install
- Fast: One turn to lock and unlock
- Safe: No hammer required to service the lip system
- Options: Four tip shapes to optimize your production
Large and Robust Structures Designed and Fabricated to Withstand Your Toughest Digging Conditions
To extend service life and ensure that your 6020B keeps producing, our structures are designed for durability and dependability. Extended performance in the harsh digging conditions you face daily is accomplished through selection of high-strength steels and rugged castings, joined and thermally stress-relieved to create a reliable external shell.
- Manufactured from high-strength steel for durability.
- Full penetration, profiled and ground welds at critical junctures.
- MT, UT, and X-ray inspections on select welds ensure quality.
Reliable Front Attachment Structures
The 6020B boom and stick utilize high-strength steel and rugged castings that are joined and thermally stress relieved for optimum structural life.
- Heavy castings at all pivot points.
- Single-plate side walls.
- Better flow of forces and less welding seams, as top chords are made of one bend plate.
- Entire boom and stick are stress relieved after welding for maximized reliability.
- Extensive use of Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
Fully Tested and Validated
All 6020B structures have been fully tested and validated at our state-of-the-art proving ground in Tucson, AZ (U.S.A.).
Achieve Targeted Loading/Hauling Production with Perfectly Paired Cat Hydraulic Shovels and Mining Trucks
For full truck payloads with minimum loading time, an efficient loading/hauling system begins with an optimized equipment match. Cat hydraulic shovels are matched with Cat mining trucks to maximize volume of material moved at the lowest operating cost per ton.
The 6020B was designed to be an optimal pass-match with our popular 777 Series off-highway truck. It is also capable of pairing with the 785 Series mining truck, where applicable.
Flexible offerings accommodate various specialty front arrangements and the capability to work in mobile or fixed applications. With industry leading tool carrying capacity and reliability, HMS Specialty Solutions are ideally positioned to move more material at a lower cost and maximize profitability.
Versatile in nature, shovel solutions:
- are designed with safety as top priority
- have a proven durability you can rely on
- are supported by an unparalleled network of dealers
- are protected by Caterpillar’s standard warranty
Frontless Shovel Arrangements
Frontless shovel arrangements integrated with non-standard front attachments, work tools, and technology can create optimized solutions for various high power applications.
- In addition to the base carrier, solutions generally include Caterpillar cylinders, components and worktools.
- Common applications best served with these solutions include long reach, rock placement or removal, bulk material handling, and demolition.
Upper Only Arrangements for Fixed Installations
Upper only arrangements integrated with non-standard front attachments can be fixed or pedestal mounted to create mechanical dredging and bulk material handling solutions.
- The standard carbody can be integrated as a structural mounting platform and be supplied with or without the swing system.
Undercarriage and Track Arrangements
Mobile undercarriage options provide efficient hydraulic power in track arrangements or complete mobile platforms to support loads over 170 tonnes (187 tons). Solutions include: complete undercarriage or individual components (carbody, track sides, or ring gear).
- Inhouse performance analysis ensures solution is sized appropriately for application and payload.
- Durable and designed for long life, components are easier to assemble and field install.
- Common solutions best served with undercarriage or track arrangements include, but are not limited to, conveyors and crushers.
Identify the task and tool. We have the rest. Problem Solved.
Meeting the needs of today without compromising the needs of tomorrow is the goal for all Cat machinery. The commitment to helping you operate safely and sustainably is affirmed in the design of the 6020B hydraulic mining shovel.
Cat 6020B Sustainability
- Rebuilds – Decrease your energy use and material consumption with a machine design that facilitates rebuilding.
- Service – Ground-level accessible service fluid fill points ensure fast, easy, and secure replenishment of machine fluids.
- Sound Levels – Reduced operator and spectator sound levels result in less impact on the communities where they operate. The 6020B provides sound suppression on its power module to keep spectator sound levels low, and provides a sound suppressed cab for an extremely quiet working environment for the operator.
- Component Life – The 6020B's automatic centralized lubrication system maintains the proper grease lubrication on working surfaces, significantly extending component life.